How to Create a Birthday Card Template using Soda PDF
Have you ever spent time browsing the greeting cards section of a store, only to realize that none of them had the sentiment you were looking for? Instead of worrying about finding the perfect message, you can always do it yourself. In just a few steps you can create a birthday card template that can be printed or sent to your loved ones digitally.
The best part about templates is they are completely re-usable. The toughest, and lengthiest part will be making the original template you will use. Once you’ve got your template ready, you will easily be able to tweak it for any person or event. The days of being left without good choices are over.
Using a PDF editor like Soda PDF you can create a birthday card template that feels like it was made by you. Below you’ll see some steps walking you through the process.
1 – Adding pages to your birthday card template
This is a quick step. When you are finished your birthday card, you’ll be able to print it out. You can print it in a way where you can fold the paper, creating a perfectly designed card.
For this template, you’ll need to configure 4 pages in your PDF document. Step one is to add those extra pages.
- Open the Insert Tab.
- Choose Insert in the Pages section.
- Increase the Page Amount to 3.
- Click Insert.
Your PDF will now have 4 pages and you are ready to move onto the next step.
2 – Add ruler lines to your pages
You’ll want to add a stylized border to add that professional edge to your template. You’ll want to place this border at exactly the same place on each page of your document.
Using Soda PDF’s ruler feature you can mark where the borders will be placed.
- Open the Edit Tab.
- Click on the Ruler
The ruler will now be visible. You can now add margin lines to your PDF. You’ll add a line to the top, bottom and each side of the document. Lines opposite each other should be the same distance away from the edge.
As an example, if the line at the top is an inch away from the end of the page, the line at the bottom should also be an inch away from the end of the page.
- Hold down the left mouse while the mouse cursor is over the ruler.
- Drag your mouse cursor into your document and you’ll see a line appear.
- Release your mouse button when the line is at the correct place.
- Repeat this process until each margin line is added to your document.
Once you’ve added your lines, you’ll see that they were added to each page of your PDF with the same formatting. The horizontal lines will only appear on the active page. As you change pages, they will appear on each page.
With your margin lines in place, it’s time for step 3 of how to create a birthday card template.
3 – Add your fancy border
In this step, you’ll start building the foundation of your template. The border is an image file. Images are a key component in any card.
You can click here to find borders you can use. Alternatively, you can use any image you have for this task.
- Open the Insert Tab.
- Choose Insert in the Images
You’ll now go through your computer and find the image of your border. It will be inserted into your file.
You’ll need to resize this image so that it fits into your designated area.
- Make sure you are in Edit Mode.
- Hold down the left mouse button.
- Drag the image so that one of the corners lines up with the corner of your margin lines.
- Hold down your left mouse button on the opposite corner.
- Drag your cursor and you’ll see the size of your border change.
- Adjust the size until it fits snugly between your margin lines.
Now that your border is the perfect size, you can copy and paste it onto the remaining pages.
- Right-click on your image.
- Choose Copy.
- Head on over to the second page.
- Right-click anywhere.
- Choose Paste.
- Hold down the left mouse button over the image of the border.
- Drag it into place.
- Release the mouse button and your image will move.
- Repeat these steps for each page.
Once each page has a border, you are ready to move on.
4 – Adding flair to your border
Adding a few details to your border gives you a great opportunity to add personality when you create a birthday card template.
Since your borders are in place, we can turn off the ruler, hiding the margin lines. This will make it easier to see while working with this PDF.
- Click the Ruler option in the Edit Tab.
For this example, we’ll add some images to the top and bottom of the border.
- Open the Insert Tab.
- Choose Insert in the Images section.
- Choose the image you’d like to use.
- Select your image while in Edit Mode.
- Drag the image to your desired place on the border.
- In the image below, we put it in the center at the top.
- A green grid line will appear letting you know the image is centered.
- Release the mouse button to place it.
- You can adjust the size of the image to make it fit.
- Hold down your left mouse button over one of the corners and drag your mouse to resize the image.
- Repeat this process until you’ve finished customizing your border.
Once you’re ready you can move on to step 5 of how to create a birthday card template.
5 – Finding the perfect font
You’ve now got your base in place. The first page of your PDF will be the front of your card. Pages 2 and 3 will be the inside of your card, leaving page 4 as the back.
You may want to use some grandiose fonts to further personalize your card. You will rarely come across a greeting card where the title is in a boring font like Times New Roman.
Thankfully Google has plenty of free fonts available that you can use. The links below are some great suggestions for the front page:
You will be able to see a sample of each font. You can then download and install your font. Click here for more instructions on how to download and install a new font in Google an here for how to install a custom font in Soda PDF.
You will need to restart Soda PDF before your font will be accessible. Once you do it will be available in the font list. Make sure to save your birthday card before restarting Soda PDF.
- Open the Edit Tab.
- Click on the font menu and choose one from the list.
Once you’ve found the fonts you want to use, you’re ready to set up page 1 of your template.
6 – Creating the front page of your birthday card template
It’s a good idea to have an idea of the look you are going for when you create a birthday card template. In our example, we’re going to express our love to our favorite feline, Soda Cat.
We’ll first insert an image, centered closer to the top of the first page. Using the grid line, you can make sure it’s centered.
Now it’s time to add some text.
- While in Edit Mode, double-click into your document.
- Type in the text you’d like to use.
- We’ll start with “Happy Birthday”.
- Select all the text.
- Update the font settings until it fits your aesthetic vision.
- Click here for more information on editing text.
- You can resize the text box (the same method as resizing an image) so that it fits your text.
- Center your text box.
- Click anywhere else in your document, and your text will be ready!
Proceed to add any additional text or images until your front page is ready. You can add as much or as little detail as you’d like.
7 – Personalizing your card.
We love our Soda Cat. For page 2 of our template, we’re going to put a picture of the cat so that it’s clear who this card is for. Instead of a picture of your card recipient, you can add their favorite meme or an image special to them.
We’ll insert the image and resize it so that it fills out most of the second page.
On page 3 we’ll add a short poem, expressing our love to Soda Cat.
We’ll add some text and center it.
Within the same text box, you can modify the color or other font settings of specific words. We’ll make the word “red” the color red. Then we’ll update the color of the word “blue”.
- Select the word you want to update.
- Change the color (or any other modification).
You can now add any more text or images you’d like to add.
On the last page of your card, you will normally find the company who created the card. You can add your own version of this. As you can see below, we added some text and an image to show we produced this card.
8 – Printing your birthday card
Now that your template is ready, you can easily print it out on a single piece of paper. Once in paper form, you can fold it over and give it to the appropriate person.
- Click the File Menu.
- Click the Print option.
- Change the orientation to Landscape.
- Scroll down to Mode and choose Booklet.
- Update Booklet Subset so that it is Both Sides.
- Click Print to print your card.
For more of a visual, check out our video tutorial on how to create a birthday card template:
Now that you know how to create a birthday card template, you can save this template for future use. All you need to do is load it up and change the images and text to match whatever situation.
Feel free to download Soda PDF and you can see how easy it is to create a birthday card template.