How to Add Shapes to a PDF: Arrows, Circles, Squares, Clouds, and More
PDF files hold an array of editing capabilities, from text editing to form field customization. While many of you may have already known about editing text, or inserting images, did you know that you can also add and customize an array of shapes?
In this article, we’re going to be teaching you how to add shapes to a PDF using Soda PDF. Learn how to add different shapes and how to fully customize them!
Shapes in Soda PDF
Before learning how to add shapes to a PDF, you may be wondering why you need shapes? Although the obvious answer could be: “Because they look cool” – they can actually be used for a certain purpose.
Firstly, Soda PDF has a range of different shapes available:
You can use shapes to:
1. Annotate documents
2. Measure distances
3. Highlights passages
4. Add interest
5. Draw attention to an object
You get the gist! Now let’s get into how to add shapes to a PDF.
How to Add Shapes to a PDF
Adding shapes is quite simple. All different shapes are added using the same method.
1.Make sure Soda PDF is in Edit mode before inserting your shapes. Then, go to the Review tab and make your way to the Shapes.
2. Click on the Shape button and click on the shape you wish to add. Then click anywhere on your document to add and form your shape.
3. And voila! Now you know how to add shapes to a PDF. All shapes are added the same way.
Now let’s move on to some more advanced properties.
How to Customize Shapes
Knowing how to add shapes to a PDF is a great way to spice up your documents, but the fun doesn’t end there!
You can also customize your shapes by adding color, text, links and more. Here’s how:
1. Right-click on the shape you wish to customize and choose Properties from the drop-down menu. This will open the Properties Panel.
2. To customize appearance, go to the Appearance From there you can change the style, width, color, opacity, blend mode and fill color.
How to Add a Cloud Shape
The release of Soda PDF 11 brings along a new feature: the cloud shape.
The Cloud can be used to measure distances, it can be drawn around items or text, or can be used to add comments. The special thing about the cloud shape is that, well, look at it, it’s a cloud!
To add a cloud shape:
1. Go to the Review tab and choose Draw Cloud from the Shapes
2. Click anywhere on your document and begin shaping your cloud by choosing its points. Watch the GIF below to see what we mean:
As with other shapes, you can customize your cloud’s appearance by right-clicking on your cloud and selecting Properties from the drop-down menu:
To find more about Soda PDF 11, check out our blog post here.
How to Add Comments to Shapes
Just like you can with text, Soda PDF allows you to add comments to your shapes!
To add a comment to your shape:
1. Right click on your desired shape and choose Add/ Edit comment from the drop-down menu.
2. Right your comment in the comment box and click “Apply.”
3. You can view, edit, and even reply to comments at any time by clicking on the shape!
How to Rotate Shapes
Soda PDF 11 allows you to rotate the shapes that you add to your PDF documents. The only shapes you cannot rotate are ovals and rectangles.
You can rotate shapes using the same method you would use to resize them. Click on your shape, then hover over the shape’s bounding box until you see the rotate icon and rotate to your desired angle.
This way, your arrows can point in any direction you need!
Now that you know how to add shapes to your PDF, the possibilities are endless. Spruce up your documents with stars and clouds because, well, you can!
View our past video tutorial on shapes:
Download Soda PDF to start playing around with shapes!
Alyssa is an English Literature graduate and the current copywriter and social media content creator for Soda PDF.