How to Convert PDF to Word
In this article, we show you how to convert PDF to Word using a variety of methods. Looking for tips on how to convert from a PDF to Word? We’ve got you covered.
We’re going to outline the process to convert PDF to Word in 4 ways, as follows:
Convert PDF to Word in 4 ways
- Using Soda PDF
- Using Microsoft Word
- Using Google Docs
- Using Adobe Acrobat DC Pro
Converting a PDF to Word is relatively easy, but you have to know a few tricks if you’re not using a free online tool like the ones on the Soda PDF website.
Let’s get into how to do convert PDF to Word using Soda PDF’s free online PDF to Word converter tool first.
How to convert from PDF to Word using Soda PDF
Here’s how to convert a PDF to Word on the Soda PDF website:
- Go the Soda PDF site.
- Select the Online Tools menu from the home page. Click on View More.
- Select PDF to Word from the array of icons.
- Drag and drop the PDF document file you want to convert. It will automatically start to convert it to a Word file.
- Download your converted document when ready and view it in your browser.
What is Soda PDF?
Soda PDF is a suite of PDF tools designed to cover all of your PDF management requirements. It’s more than just a PDF to Word converter.
With Soda PDF, you can edit, sign, convert, secure, merge, compress, convert a PDF, and much more. You can access Soda PDF in 3 different ways:
- Soda PDF free one-off web-based tools – works on all platforms (Windows, Mac, etc.)
- Soda PDF Online (full suite) – ideal for Mac users
- Soda PDF Desktop (full suite) – Windows only
What is the difference between all these Soda PDF versions?
It basically all comes down to what features and functionality you’re looking for.
For example, the Soda PDF website-based functions are simple, one-off solutions to people searching for PDF document management – such as convert a PDF to Word.
These functions are free, but also limited. When using them, you can only work with one file at a time. For quick solutions, it shouldn’t be a problem.
However, if you’re looking to convert multiple PDFs for example, you’ll need the full software.
For users looking to do more, we offer both Soda PDF Online and Desktop versions.
They both need an account registration, a download/installation and feature a 7-day free trial, and with these you can process many documents at the same time.
Each tool on the site is designed for converting one file from Word to PDF (or whatever else you need like edit, merge, etc.). These are always free and are not part of the account registration or 7-day trial process.
Is Soda PDF really free if I want to convert a PDF to a Word file?
Only the website-based functions like the PDF converter are, and they can do more than convert PDF files. Note that you’ll only be working with single documents when you use these PDF conversion tools.
Remember, Soda PDF’s Desktop and Online apps have a free trial as well. You can download and install them quickly and easily and work offline with the desktop version if you need to.
These will allow you to work with more than one PDF file at a time, so you can batch convert multiple PDF files.
Are there any other limitations to Soda PDF’s free web-based functions?
As we’ve mentioned, with the free solutions on the Soda PDF website, you can only work with a single PDF file (or single Word doc) at a time, but there’s also a limit to the size of the file you can work with.
These solutions are just an easy way to do one-off tasks, like converting your PDF file to a Word document.
There’s also a daily limit for using them. They are designed for people who just need a quick, free and easy way to manage their document or image, such as doing a quick PDF file to Word document conversion task.
If you’re looking for more power and functionality, you can always check out Soda PDF’s full online version if you’re on a Mac or PC, or download and install the Soda PDF desktop app if you’re using Windows.
Is Soda PDF safe to use to convert a PDF to Word?
The short answer is: absolutely!
Soda PDF’s website and PDF converter tool are used by millions of people every month, and they are 100% secure.
We use SSL encryption to ensure that your images and documents and data are not compromised, and remove all files after processing, including Word files.
After you select the PDF file, upload it to the site and it’s done converting, you can always save the PDF file to Google Drive if you’d like to have it easily available for sharing.
If you want to work offline to convert PDF files into editable Word documents, you can always download the Soda PDF Desktop version for Windows.
It allows you to do all your work offline, from convert PDF files to Word documents to merging and compressing PDFs and more.
How to convert PDF to Word using Microsoft Word
If you’re using Microsoft Word, it’s relatively easy to convert a PDF file. Here’s how to convert your PDF document into a Word file:
- Locate the PDF you want to open and right-click on it. This will open a menu box. If you’re using a Mac and don’t have a right mouse button, press Control as you click the file.
- Select Open with near the top of the menu. Another menu will appear.
- Click Word or Microsoft Word from the menu list. This will open Word and display the PDF.
- Click OK to convert the file when prompted. Word will convert the file to a .docx format to display it.
- Edit the Word document. Note that your newly converted PDF document may not be perfect. There might be page to page discrepancies due to line and page breaks, graphics, and so on. Making manual adjustments might be required.
- If you downloaded the PDF from the internet (saved it from an email attachment for example), a bar at the top of the document will appear with a button marked “enable editing.” Make sure you click on that button so you can edit the file.
- Finally, Save the converted PDF.
When you’re ready to save the converted file as its own Word document, do the following:
- Windows — Click File > Save As > This PC, enter a file name, select a save location on the left side of the window, and click Save.
- Mac — Click File, click Save As, enter a name, select a file location, and click Save.
How to convert PDF to Word using Google Docs
Converting a PDF with Google Docs is also relatively easy, but it comes with a caveat: Google Docs will not preserve any of the PDF’s photos.
If you still prefer to use this method, here’s how to convert a PDF to Word using Google Docs:
Make sure you’re logged into your Google account, then go to Google Docs in your browser (you can do it through Gmail, from the menu where you normally access Google Drive).
- Click the “Upload” button at the top-right corner of your file list, just below the last template in the gallery.
- Click the “Upload” tab at the top of the “Open a file” window.
- Click “Select a file from your device” – the blue button in the center of the window.
- Select your PDF file and click Open. This uploads the PDF file to your Google Drive and opens a preview once it has finished uploading.
- Click the “Open with” menu. It’s at the top-center part of the window. Should you not see the “Open with” drop-down box, move your mouse to the top of the window.
- Click Google Docs on the menu. This will open the PDF in Google Docs from now on.
- If you don’t see Google Docs as an option in the drop-down menu, you can add it: click Connect more apps from menu, search for Google Docs, and Install to get it.
- Save your PDF as a Word document.
Once you’ve opened the document in Google Docs, you can save it in Microsoft Word format on your computer. Here’s how:
- Click File in the upper-left side of the Google Docs page.
- Select Download.
- Select Microsoft Word (.docx) as the format.
- Choose a save location and/or click Save if prompted.
How to convert PDF to Word using Adobe Acrobat Pro
If you’re lucky enough to have Acrobat Pro on your computer, you can also easily convert your PDF to Word by following the steps below.
Note that in order to use this method, you need to have the paid version of Acrobat on your computer.
Without further ado, here’s how to convert your PDF to Word using Adobe Acrobat DC Pro:
- Open Adobe Acrobat DC Pro.
- Find and right-click on the PDF you want to open using your computer’s file manager.
- Right-click the file on your computer to open a context menu.
- If you’re on a Mac (don’t have a right mouse button), do a Control + click on the file.
- Select “Open with” near the top of the menu. Another menu of apps will appear.
- Select Adobe Acrobat Pro (or whatever version you have) from that new menu of apps. This will open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro from now on.
- Click on Export PDF. This tool is in the right panel. A list of file types will expand.
- Click Microsoft Word as the export format. Additional options will expand.
- Click Word Document. It’s the first option on the right panel. This will tell Adobe Acrobat what type of document to create.
- Click Export. Acrobat will now convert the file and prompt you to Save and name it.
- Name the file and click Save. Now that you’ve saved the PDF as a Word document, you can open and edit the Word file in Microsoft Word.
PDF to Word conversion: The Takeaway
With PDFs and Word files being so popular, it makes sense that you’ll need to convert a PDF to a Word document at some point.
If you need a reliable solution for your document conversion needs, use Soda PDF to create Word documents (.docx), PDFs and more!
Manage your documents with ease using Soda PDF’s easy-to-use tools. Edit, create, convert, merge, compress, secure, E-Sign & OCR PDFs using one of our fully-featured PDF software solutions: Soda PDF Desktop or Soda PDF Online. Try it today for FREE!