How to Convert Scanned PDF to Word
This article is all about how to convert scanned PDF to Word online. We’ll show you how to use Soda PDF’s free online tool to get the job done quickly and easily.
Generally speaking, converting PDF to Word is straightforward. If it’s a regular text-based PDF file, the process is simple to revert it back to a Word file (.docx) – this can be done in Microsoft Word. If you’re dealing with scanned PDFs (image files), read on for the process outlined after that.
What about converting scanned PDF to editable Word documents?
If you’re talking about a scanned PDF to Word conversion, that is a bit different than the above procedure. A scanned PDF is essentially an image file, and so the text can’t be edited.
Many people who have scanned PDFs (images) with text in them would like to convert them into a format like Word where they can then have the document be editable.
A scanned PDF to Word conversion is a different kind of process, but it can easily be done with Soda PDF’s free online PDF converter.
Convert scanned PDF to editable Word documents for free online
Note that the Soda PDF solution works with either regular text-based or scanned PDF documents.
To convert scanned PDFs, it will use Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to turn the scanned PDF document (which is an image) into an editable Word format. Don’t worry – the optical character recognition (OCR) software we use will retain the quality of your original scanned PDF document.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go the Soda PDF site.
- Select the free Online Tools menu. Click on View More.
- Select PDF to Word from the array of icons.
- Drag and drop the document you want to convert. It will automatically start the conversion process.
- Download the converted Word document when ready and view it in your browser.
What is Soda PDF?
Soda PDF is a suite of tools designed to cover all of your PDF management requirements. It’s more than just a PDF to Word converter.
With it you can edit, sign, merge, compress, convert PDF documents, and much more.
You can access Soda PDF in 3 different ways:
- Soda PDF free one-off web-based tools – works on all platforms
- Soda PDF Online (full suite) – ideal for Mac users
- Soda PDF Desktop (full suite) – Windows only
What is the difference between all these Soda PDF versions?
It basically all comes down to features and functionality.
For example, the Soda PDF website-based functions are simple, one-off solutions to people searching to manage PDF documents – such as edit or convert PDF to Word.
These functions are free, but also limited. When using them, you can only work with one document at a time.
For users looking to do more, we offer both Soda PDF online and desktop versions.
They both need an account registration, a download/installation and feature a 7-day free trial, and with these you can process many documents at the same time.
Each tool on the site is designed for converting one document from scanned PDF to Word (or whatever else you need like edit, merge, etc.). These are always free and are not part of the account registration or 7-day trial process.
Is Soda PDF really free?
Only the website-based functions like the PDF converter are, and they can do more than convert PDFs to editable Word files.
Note that you’ll only be working with single documents when you use these PDF conversion tools.
The desktop and online apps have a free trial. You can download and install them quickly and easily and work offline with the desktop version if you need to.
These will allow you to work with more than one file at a time, so you can batch convert multiple scanned PDF files.
Are there any other limitations to Soda PDF’s free web-based functions?
As we’ve mentioned, with the free solutions on the Soda PDF website, you can only work with a single scanned PDF file (or single Word doc) at a time, but there’s also a limit to the size of file you can work with.
These solutions just an easy way to do one-off tasks, like convert your scanned PDFs to editable Word files.
There’s also a daily limit for using them. They are designed for people who just need a quick, free and easy way to manage their document or image, such as doing a quick scanned PDF file conversion task.
If you’re looking for more power and functionality, you can always check out Soda PDF’s full online version if you’re on a Mac or PC, or download and install the Soda PDF Desktop app if you’re using a PC.
Here’s how to convert a PDF to Word using Microsoft Word
Wondering how much time you can save using Soda PDF’s easy-to-use document solutions? Here’s the (many) steps you’ll need to take if you want to convert a PDF to Word using Microsoft Office:
- Locate the file you want to open and right-click on it. This will open a menu box. If you’re using a Mac and don’t have a right mouse button, press Control as you click on it.
- Select Open with near the top of the menu. Another menu will appear.
- Click Word from the menu list. This will open Word and display the PDF.
- Click OK to convert the file when prompted. Word will convert the file to a .docx format to display it.
- Edit the document. Note that your newly converted document may not be perfect. There might be page to page discrepancies due to line and page breaks, graphics, and so on. Making manual adjustments might be required.
- If you downloaded the PDF from the internet (saved it from an email attachment for example), a bar at the top of the document will appear with a button marked “enable editing.” Make sure you click on that button if you want to edit your document.
- Finally, Save the converted PDF.
Is Soda PDF safe to use to convert scanned PDF to Word online?
The short answer is: yes!
Soda PDF’s website and PDF conversion solutions are used by millions of people every month, and they are 100% secure – that includes the online PDF to Word converter.
We use SSL encryption to ensure that your images and documents and data are not compromised, and remove all files after processing, including Word files.
Free online PDF to Word conversion: The Takeaway
With PDFs and Word files being so popular, it makes sense that you’ll need to convert scanned PDF to Word at some point.
If you need a reliable solution for your scanned PDF to Word conversion needs and more, use Soda PDF!